- Original "Techhead" of the Vicker Family.
- But always a country boy.
- First to always wear cowboy boots in high school.
- First to always wear a cowboy hat to high school.
- Started playing with computers in the late 1970's while studying
Accounting at Southwestern Community College.
- Managed to get a work study at Southwestern Community College taking
care of their two Radio Shack TRS-80 Model Is.
- Started Vicker Programming and Services while still at Southwestern
- Started out with a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model I
- 3 - five and a quarter inch floppy drives.
- 48 KB of memory
- Provided electronic drug record keeping forms for a local pharmacy
that bundled it with their prescription services to local nursing
- Provided a mailing list service for a state wide equestrian
- Started driving and training ponies in 1975. Still do!
- Paraded a team of 4 ponies throughout most of the western two thirds
- Exhibited teams of up to 6 ponies in assorted horse shows in the
western two thirds of Iowa.
- Co-driver of an 8 pony hitch in the Iowa State Fair Parade for 3
- Worked for National Farmers Organization in Corning Iowa from 1982 to
- Hired as a PC programmer for a project using a Radio Shack TRS-80
Model III to automate field offices.
- Quickly re-assigned to midrange development to assist in upgrading
from an IBM System 34 and System 3 to a "new technology" IBM System
- First major task to undertake on my own was to convert the payroll
- Learned fundamentals of communications when I had to take over the
IBM Series/1 for the programmer that left.
- Became a certified professional when I earned my CCP from the
Institute for Certification of Computing Professionals (ICCP)
- Earned a second certification as a CDP also from the ICCP.
- The ICCP has since combined all their certifications together
under the CCP with added specialties.
- Attended my first Common conference.
- Instituted a centralized name and address database to consolidate
them from the four separate divisions and provide a better method of
identifying an individual's participation across the divisions.
- Worked for Crestland Coop during 1989:
- Provided training on moving from IBM System 36 technology to the new
IBM AS/400 technology.
- Helped redesign the purchasing module.
- Helped install their custom package for coops/elevators.
- Automated collection of purchases from their un-attended self
service fuel pumps.
- Helped install a convenience store management package that they
- Worked for Fansteel/Wellman Dynamics from 1989 to 1993:
- Converted custom programs from a Honeywell system to an IBM System
- Implemented and customized their new Pansophic PRMS package on the
IBM System 38.
- Tracked down numerous problems in Pansophic PRMS and in many cases
provided the fix code for Pansophic's technical support team.
- Implemented and integrated a bar coded time and labor data
collection system for their production floor.
- Upgraded from IBM System 38 to a new AS/400.
- Implemented Premenos EDI on their IBM AS/400.
- Established their first PC network.
- Restored Vicker Programming and Service from a sideline to primary
focus of business in fall of 1993.
- Implemented the conversion and integration of Software Plus payroll
from a customer's custom payroll module.
- Implemented the conversion from CA's Pansophic PRMS to B&L
Information Systems BLIS ERP system.
- Established and installed PC networks for various customers.
- Established and installed internet connections for various
- Including various hardware and software firewall solutions.
- Including different routing technologies such as Internet
Connection Sharing and hardware routers.
- Converted a custom package from a PC network using an OS/2 server
and Citrix networking to an IBM AS/400.
- Provided custom training to end users on various applications such
as IBM Query/400
- Implemented Domino servers on IBM AS/400.
- Implemented domains and mail servers.
- Implemented Apache web server on IBM AS/400.
- Implemented WiFi (802.11) access for customer's networks.
- Implemented multiple versions of MS Windows Server including RDP and
- Migrated MS Windows Servers to new versions and hardware.
- Implemented virtual machines using VmWare and MS Hyper-Visor.
- Background feeder stears on grass starting in 1994
- Started making draft and pleasure driving harness for ponies and
miniature horses in 1995.
- Made first Common presentation during the Fall 2004 conference in
- "Employee Management, a Stockman's Approach."
- Passed the check ride to earn my Private Pilot Certificate 11/11/2016
- Also, earned a Remote Pilot rating at the same time.
- Started Iowa Skyview Photography (Drone based aerial photography)
- Certified Computer Professional since 1987.
Participant in Professional Development program (120 contact hours of
continuing education each 3 year cycle).
- Southwestern Community College Advisory Board Member:
- Business and Computer Science.
- Reality is subject to some individual interpretation. -- Roger Vicker
Roger Vicker, CCP
1333 Hwy. 25
Creston, Ia. 50801-8029
Machine: (641) 782-8746
My Other Sites.
Visit Iowa Skyview Photography.
Visit Vicker Programming & IT
Visit Vicker Pony Farm.
Visit Vicker Harness Shop.
Visit Notes From the Farm.
All contents and photos are copyrighted © 2004-2017 by Roger
Vicker and may not be re-distributed.
For more information on certification from
An IBM midrange focused volunteer community
and education source.
Southwestern Iowa Community College